Questions to Ask When Selecting a Lender
There are many factors relating to the lender or bank that you choose that can positively or negatively impact your home purchase. While it can be appealing to try to find the lowest interest rate, using an unqualified lender comes with substantial risk both financially and in helping you get your offer accepted on the home that you worked so hard to find.
- What percentage of your loans closed on time last year?
- How long do I need for my appraisal contingency? Financing contingency?
- What steps do you take (if any) to help me get my offer accepted?
- Would you be my point of contact throughout the financing process?
- If no - Who would be my point of contact throughout the financing process? How familiar is this person with the DC market?
- How quickly can you generate an updated pre-approval letter once I am approved?
- Can you submit my documents to underwriting for a decision prior to submitting an offer?
- What is your relationship with the appraisers and underwriters that your company uses?
- Are you available 7 days a week, 365 days a year (or you would connect me with a trusted colleague in the event of an extended absence)? Are you available to meet in person?
- How will I be sending you documents throughout the process? Is it secure?
- If considering a condo purchase - How many condos did you finance last year? How familiar are you with condo financing?